LEAN SIX SIGMA WORLD CONFERENCE SPEAKER
Dr. Muyuan Li
Sr. Health System Engineer, BayCare Health System, Clearwater, FL USA
"Muyuan Li, PhD, is a Sr. Health System Engineer at BayCare Health System in Clearwater, FL. She is an Industrial Engineer with over 4 years of experience in System Engineering and Human Factors research, and 3 plus years in Process Improvement. Her work is primarily focused on the use of system engineering for operational optimization and strategic planning.
The following is a summary of Dr. Li’s accomplishments at BayCare:
• Determined space design and staffing requirements for a new $53M outpatient facility using simulation modeling which resulted in an avoidance of 8 registration stations
• Developed analytical dashboards to support managing the Emergency Department’s daily performance
• Facilitated capacity planning project for a new 28-bed Emergency Department (ED) and 15-bed OSV, evaluated process design, resource utilization and staffing prior to the opening with simulation and modeling. Post-open results showed an 8% reduction in median length of stay while volume increased by 11%.
• Managed and coached two teams of undergraduate students from the University of South Florida’s Engineering Department on Emergency Department and Operation Room improvement projects
Prior to joining BayCare, Dr. Li was a Teaching Assistant at the University of Central Florida (UCF) teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in Discrete Event Simulation, Advanced Engineering Economic Analysis, Human Engineering, and Research Methods. She was also a Research Assistant and developed the following:
• A web-based software to assist in patient scheduling with systems dynamic modeling and reduced patient’s appointment delays from 3 months to 1 month
• Discrete event simulation models to redesign process flow at an 8-clinic VA medical center
Dr. Li was a Clinical Analyst Intern at Florida Hospital where she performed customized data cleaning, manipulating, and analysis for clinical purposes. She developed infection monthly metrics scorecard and achieved a 50% reduction in Healthcare Associated Infections.
Dr. Li served as a Research Assistant at the University of Science and Technology Beijing where she developed the following:
• Sizing system for Chinese female children and teenagers with 95% coverage of the population
• Body shape classification using factor analysis and cluster analysis
Dr. Li holds a Bachelor of Engineering in Industrial Engineering from the University of Science and Technology Beijing (Beijing, China), her Master of Science in Industrial Engineering and Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial Engineering from the University of Orlando (Orlando, Florida). She has been with BayCare for 3 years."