LEAN SIX SIGMA WORLD CONFERENCE
Lifelong Lean Lessons Learned Long Ago
Presenter: Michael Ford, Principal, TQM Works Consulting, Port Crane, NY, USA
Keywords: Core Competency, Creativity, Critical Success Factors
Industry: General Audience/Keynote
The session facilitator learned about lean methodology as an adult business professional. He began reflecting on experiences earlier in life that reminded him of lean concepts. It has allowed him to understand that lean is not just manufacturing, it is for any environment or process that has waste, i.e. an opportunity for improvement.
Join Michael Ford as he shares his life journey in embracing lean with the following stories, with corresponding lean lessons.
• His bicycle trip shopping for groceries (minimize transport!)
• A college internship with a Tier 1 automotive supplier (component commonality!)
• Working as a grocery clerk in the express lane (small lots facilitate flow!)
• Order-picking in a grocery warehouse (minimize handling!)
• Managing a location database at a global parts distribution facility (reduce process steps!)
This program presents a fun, informal opportunity for round-table group discussion among the audience, as they are encouraged to share their experiences.