Reinventing Business Innovation with the Lean Canvas
DJ Duarte, Owner & Founder, Makoto Flow Ltd, Iwakuni, JP-35, Japan
Keywords: Innovation, Lean Canvas, Reframing Business
The Lean Canvas Model is an adaptation of Business Model Canvas by Alexander Osterwalder which Ash Maurya created in the Lean Startup spirit (Fast, Concise and Effective startup). Eric then wrote about it in The Lean Startup as a methodology for developing businesses and products with the aim of shortening product development cycles and rapidly discovering if a proposed business model is viable.
Unlike a “business plan” that takes too long to write, and more importantly, no one reads.
A Lean Model Canvas is designed to help create a quick snapshot of your idea, share it with others for feedback, and refine it as you move forward.
Six advantages of a Lean Canvas:
1. No MBA Required – the designed canvas is intuitive, easy to understand and accessible by everyone.
2. Used Around the World – today, it’s used not just by business folks but also engineers, designers and product managers at thousands of startups, accelerators and large companies.
3. Customer-Problem-Solution Focused – this makes it ideal for early-stage innovation projects & startups.
4. Simplicity is Best – the power is how easy it is to use; it’s taught at many of the top business / engineering schools around the world, and even at the high school level.
5. Practical – built by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs with purpose.
6. Actionable Outcomes – the continuous innovation framework helps to systematically uncover what customers want.