Menu
Log in


Yes, There are Projects Beyond Making the Perfect Crayola Crayon & Marker"

Richard John Titus, Jr., Adjunct Faculty, MBB and Principal, Lehigh University and Titus Consulting, Bethlehem, PA, USA

Keywords: Deployment, IT, HR

Industry: Manufacturing

Level: Intermediate

ABSTRACT

Crayola manufactures over 2.2 billion crayons and 500 million markers per year at the Easton facility. Crayola began the Lean Six Sigma journey in 2000 focusing on the application of Lean. In 2007, under the direction, guidance and participation of Mr. Peter Ruggiero, Certified Six Sigma Green Belt and Executive V.P. of Worldwide Operations and Information Technology (IT) Crayola launched their first wave of Green Belts. Since this first wave over 100 Green Belts and Black Belts have been trained and certified. Hundreds of projects have been completed yielding substantial savings and improvements. While the majority of projects have been focused on manufacturing, a number of significant projects have been completed in other areas of the business including Information Technology, Human Resources (HR) and Research and Development (R&D). These projects have been some of the most successful projects in terms of process improvements and savings. The IT project reduced the total number of required servers and hardware footprint. This allowed the creation of new office space and reduced annual operating expenses over a five-year period. The HR project impacted the time to hire by over 50%, filling Crayola positions with qualified people faster than ever. The R&D project added further improvements in product performance versus competitors via design improvements. These projects remind us that Lean Six Sigma projects exist beyond the tradition walls of our factories. We just need to follow the DMAIC process and remember Dr. W. Edwards Deming as he noted “The factory offers 3% of the opportunity for company improvement, the rest of the business- 97%.”


Proposal Submission Deadline:
October 11, 2019

Acceptance notification date:
November 11, 2019

Early Registration Deadline:
February 11, 2020

Please make sure to review and prepare the material needed before you start the on-line Proposal Submission Form. Click here to see Proposal Submission Guidelines.

Who May Submit: This online form may be used by a principal speaker, co-speaker, contact person, or a committee member submitting on behalf of a speaker.

Multiple Proposals: You may submit multiple proposals.

Conference Registration Fee:
The conference registration fee is waived for the principal speaker of accepted proposals. Speakers are responsible for their travel expenses and arrangements. Co-speakers will receive a 30% discount for the conference that they are presenting at.

Length of Presentations: Technical sessions are typically 35 minutes. There will be a limited number of "double" sessions, 70 minutes, at the end of each day.

Call for Proposals

You will need the following to submit a proposal

Proposal Title: Maximum 80 characters including spaces. 

Keywords:Please include three keywords with a maximum of 100 characters, including spaces. 

Industry Sector: Please select the most relevant Industry sector for the proposal from a list.

Abstract: The Abstract should be 1,500 to 5,000 characters (note that it is Characters, NOT words), including spaces.

Biography: The Biography must be 1,500 to 5,000 characters, including spaces.

Public Profile: LinkedIn or Public Profile for link for the Principal Speaker: 

Speaker's Photo (optional)

Sample Video (optional)

Government Organizations




Corporations

““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““ ““
““ ““ ““ ““ ““

© Copyright 2019 American Quality Institute. All Rights Reserved.

Log in